Electric vehicle adoption factors almost all focus on the same thing: Efficiency, safety of batteries, and the ability to charge them regularly, easily and quickly. This raises the central question to any battery designer: What can limit the efficiency of a hybrid or electric vehicle battery? Every engineer knows that heat is the main factor to master and control, for designing the best battery. Thermal management activities are key for EV carmakers. Join us in California to address the biggest current challenges in Battery Thermal Management Performance, comparing different thermal management system architectures and their advantages and trade-offs in terms of cost and efficiency; explore how to Optimise energy management, increasing range of EVs; and look at into the future of Thermal Management of Next-Generation Solid State Batteries.
7:20AM Registration And Morning Breakfast Networking
8:00AM Thermal Management Solutions To Optimise Battery Safety And Performance
- How can an optimal thermal management strategy be developed – and what are the next-generation objectives?
- What are the current, primary leading technologies/methods for thermal conductivity (conducting the heat) and thermal insulation ( a cooling system or insulating each cell to limit heat propagation)
- Thermal management methods: Insulation or conductivity
- How can battery ageing be reduced by thermal management?
- What progress has been made in finding an industry standard for a thermal management architecture?
8:20AM Tackling The Heat Generation Factors To Consider When Designing A Thermal Management System
- Battery cells overheat and thermal run away; unpredictable fire
- External Temperature Variation & Thermal Shock – Advanced Thermal Insulation systems
- Fast Charging & Ultra-Fast Charging
- Thermal Management System and Thermal Management Material Innovations
- The role of material science in thermal management
8:40AM Examining The Latest Developments In Fast Charging And Impact on Battery Thermal Management Systems
- Fast Charging: Standards, Technical Challenges And Infrastructure
- Charing represents the most significant barrier to growing the electric vehicle market
- The development of fast charging and ultra-fast charging has a key role in enabling longer-ranges for electric vehicles
9:00AM What Are The Main Parameters To Be Considered In Battery-Pack Heat Management?
- Achieving homogeneity of the temperature within the battery pack in a range between 3oC – 4oC, in ambient conditions that range from -35oC to 50oC
- Cooling Plates vs Thermally Conductive Materials
- Controlling potential hazards related to extreme temperature rises in any given part of the pack referred to as Thermal Runaway.
- Insulation characteristics; effective fire retardants and self-extinguishing materials
9:20AM Specifying Thermal Management Solutions For Battery Pack Design
- How do application, materials and design for the battery assembly impact thermal management and cooling?
- What are the most effective cooling methods for different battery applications?
- What are the key selection criteria for a most efficient thermal solution?
- How is it integrated into the battery system and driveline?
- How to effectively measure and evaluate thermal management solutions?
9:40AM How To Effectively Measure And Evaluate Thermal Management Solutions
- Addressing trade-offs between performance, functionality, volume, mass, cost, maintenance and safety issues
10:00AM Simulation To Aid Design And More Accurately Predict Thermal Performance And State Of Health Of A Battery Pack
- How to harness digital technology to improve battery design
- Exploring the application of multi-scale modelling tot battery pack design
- Lifespan prediction: The importance of understanding degradation
- Simulation-based validation of energy management strategies for xEVs
- A full vehicle simulation approach to optimised energy management of Evs
10:20AM Increased Virtualisation In Battery Pack Design
- A scalable battery pack model – to capture interactions between mechanical, electro-chemical and thermal disciplines and enable virtualization of the design process to increase confidence in the final product performance early in design phase.
- Coupling mechanical, thermal and electro-chemical characteristics to match design iteration.
- Modular architecture to facilitate partner developed call model, component models etc
11:00AM Morning Networking: Refreshments Breakout
11:20AM Key Challenges In Thermal Management & Innovation Requirements
- Limiting battery heat fluctuations in battery performance: Understanding “your” battery capabilities requirements in
- terms of temperature variations
- Do you need to dissipate or insulate heat?
- Challenges concerning the size of the battery pack
- Thermal Management Systems (TMS) and the choice of Thermal Interface Materials (TIMs)
- Thermodynamics, heat and power transfer, insulation, conductivity, condensation, radiation
- What is the key decision criterion between cost & performance
11:40AM Matching BTMS’s To More Powerful Batteries To Improve The Energy Storing Capabilities Of BEVs
Ahmad Pesara, Chief Energy Storage Engineer at National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- How to increase power whilst maintaining thermal stability
- Increasing tolerance for operating temperatures
- What advanced thermal management solutions are required to better protect the battery itself – stability in extreme temperature variations.
- Protecting power electronics: material challenges for motors, components and connectors
- Battery insulation and lithium-ion battery separators
- New electro-chemical mechanisms that might boost the specific energy performance of future batteries
12.00PM Keynote: Next-Generation, Environment-Friendly Thermal Solutions For EV Batteries
Terry Solberg – Global Head Thermal Products, Henkel Corporation
- Innovative technologies with focus on sustainability, lightweight & efficiency
- The EV Powertrain Deployed e-Mobility Solution for (TIMs)
- Thermal conductivity and resistance
- Thermal Interface Materials (TIM)
- Fundamentals of TIM vs Thermal Resistance
- Battery Systems – Liquid Gap Filling TIMs
- Long-term reliability and testing
12:20PM Adhesive And Sealing Systems For High-Voltage Batteries In Electric Vehicles
- A wide spectrum of adhesive systems offers the industrial designer new technology options and thermal management solutions for high-voltage batteries
- Assessing desired strengths, service considerations and the manufacturing requirements
- Further options for replacing mechanical fastenings
- Gap fillers as suitable alternatives to thermally conductive pads
12:40PM Development Of A Novel ‘True’ Isothermal Cell Cycling Tool For Battery Thermal Management And Modelling
- Highlighting the importance of accurate temperature control during battery testing
- Presentation on the Isothermal Control Platform
- Showing how the battery surface contact temperature is controlled
- Tests at high C-rates using different types of cell (pouches, cylindrical, prismatic)
- Comparison with commonly used environmental chambers
1:00PM Engineered Single-Phase Immersion Cooling For Thermal Management of Lithium-Ion Batteries
David Sundin – Chief Scientist, Engineered Fluids
- Review of current methods of thermal management and their shortcomings
- Discussion of single-phase Liquid Immersion Cooling (SLIC) Technology
- Recent demonstrations of batteries cooled with SLIC Technology
- Accelerated charge/discharge rates and extended useful life of batteries cooled with SLIC Technology
1:20PM Networking Luncheon
2:00PM Exploring Different Cooling Strategies For Fast Charging And High-Performance Electric Vehicles
DR Prahit Dubey – Technical Lead Thermal Engineering, Romeo Power Technology
- Identifying challenges and reviewing opportunities of liquid-cooling (bottom-cooled) solutions for battery thermal management
- Deep diving into liquid-cooled (bottom-cooled) battery modules for passenger ad commercial BEVs: A review of performance advantages in high power and high heat flux applications.
- Introduction to thermal management of battery packs using novel submerged-cell cooling technology.
- Exploring submerged-cell cooling technology for high performance electric vehicles through numerical and experimental investigations, and comparing its thermal performance to bottom-cooled solution
2:20PM Fast Charging & Batteries Of The Future: What Will Be The Impact Of Fast Charging On Battery Thermal Management?
Punnet Sinha – Director New Mobility, Siemens PLM & Mentor
- Ultra-capacitors and their role in future powertrains: Increasing power density for enhanced vehicle performance and reduced battery size.
- New battery materials and design for greater energy density and efficiency
- Solid State batteries and their commercialisation
- Lithium-ion InnovationDeveloping a battery that operates optimally across a wider range of temperatures
- Battery Packing: Thermal dissipation Materials for assembling the battery
2:40PM Managing The Impacts of Fast Charging On Thermal Management Of The Battery Pack
Bret Trimmer – Application Engineering Manager, NEOGRAF Solutions
- Analysing thermal management as the primary accelerator for extended driving range per charge
- The main thermal management material in use today is aluminium; which is thick, heavy and a poor conductor of heat: The challenge of using aluminium for extended driving range without the pack becoming too large and heavy to be practical
- Flexible graphite: Same heat spread as aluminium, half the thickness and half the weight
- Case study examples of graphite cooling fins from large scale marine Li-ion battery systems
3:00PM Design And Material Packaging Solutions For Battery Modules
Sukhvinder Kang – Chief Technology Officer AVVID, Boyd Corporation (Reserved)
- Thermal management and packaging solutions for battery modules
- TMS from steel and aluminium liquid cold plates to heat pipes, vapour chambers and encapsulated APG
- Evaluating Polyimide foam technology from NASA for robust packaging: resistant to flames, noise, and provides thermal runaway isolation
3:20PM Ultra Fast Charging Systems: Increasing Voltage And Current For Achieving Higher Charging Power
John Warner – Chief Customer Officer, American Battery Solutions
- Description of Ultra-Fast Charging Systems
- Need for UFC in battery electric vehicles
- Geographic adoption of UFC
- Impact of UFC on Lithium-ion battery chemistries
- How do UFC manage the heat generation? How much heat is driven into the batteries?
- Strategies for managing BEEV heat generation during Ultra-Fast Charging
3:40PM Proven Silicone Solutions For EV Thermal Management – Battery And Beyond
- How Silicone materials can help you better manage the heat of your battery pack: How to scales-up your battery pack design with silicone thermal management materials
- Identifying the wide range of needs related to battery pack insulation, battery pack assembly, component assembly, gap filling, power control units and cables/connectors.
- Effective thermal management within the battery pack and across the powertrain components
- Tuning materials to provide thermal insulation or thermal conductance within the base silicone foam, adhesive, elastomer, potting compound or paste.
- A customised approach to battery interstitial fill, thermal interface, adhesives, potting and protective covering material – to meet design specifications.
- Selected material and design examples
4:00PM Networking Break
4:20PM Why Does Thermal Management Materials Processing performances (Processability, Pot Life, Curing Speed) Matter The Much For Battery Scale Up?
- Scale up your battery pack design with Silicone Thermal Management Materials
- The best EV car design will not work if it is not scalable
- Is battery pack scale-up possible with silicones for thermal management: Integration into H&EV processing systems
4:40PM Thermal Aspects of Battery Pack Design
- Future Battery Pack Designs
- Thermal Impacts of increased energy density
- Comparison of different cooling methods
- Design of thermal reliable battery packs
5:00PM Improving Energy Density And Performance of EV Battery Packs With Thermal Management And Coatings
Sarah Ledbetter – Global Market Specialist For Electrification, Lord Corporation (Reserved)
- Battery Packing: Thermal dissipation materials for assembling the battery how thermal management materials address EV limitations in range, reliability and cost benefits of using a cure-in-place liquid dispense gap filler over a pre-cured thermal pad (also called a gap pad).
- Data from internal testing, as well as third party testing on significant performance differences between fillers and pads
- Flame resistant coating which can help mitigate damage in case of fire event, and their applications conclusions and recommendations that include trade-offs on cost, manufacturability and performance
5:20PM Analysis And Modelling of The Vehicle Thermal Management System (VTMS) For Battery Electric Vehicles
Waldemar Linares – Business Development Manager, AVL (Reserved)
- Identifying the main challenges when developing a VTMS for Battery Electric Vehicles
- Advanced Methodology for thermal System development
- A holistic approach for VTMS Modelling
- Influence on sub-systems in vehicle performance and energy consumption
5:40PM Selecting The Best Fit And Robust Thermal Interface Material For Effective Battery Cooling
- Performance, safety and temperature control to avoid Thermal run-aways
- Challenging engineering – considering handling, storage, assembly and processing
- How to select such a product? What to consider for the specific applications?
6:00PM Solid-State Technology – What Are The Thermal Management Implications
- Solid state batteries are not so far from the market: Market OEMs are now developing and experimenting with this technology, identifying the future road map for a solid state battery role out.
- Exploring the issues with solid state technologies for USA automotive industry
- How to create opportunities for solid-state technology
- What are the thermal management challenges associates with solid state batteries?
6:20PM What Are The Strategies And Options for Dealing With Battery End Of Life
Todd Coy – Executive Vice President, KBI
- The demand for Lithium-ion batteries could quadruple by 2030. Demand for global production of the battery materials, such as lithium, cobalt, managese and graphite could grow similarly. What are the strategies for recycling batteries? Lithum-ion battery recycling has many challenges including regulation.
- Regulations on vehicle and battery recyclability
- Designing for recyclability
- Packaging challenges for safe transportation and DDR
- Closing the loop modelling
- Practice examples of critical batteries in the real world
6:40PM High-Performance Cooling Solutions For Complex Electronic Systems
7:00PM Advantages And Trade-Offs Of Various Battery Cooling Technologies For Ultra-Fast Charging
7:20PM The Future Of Thermal Management Summary: Chairs Closing Remarks
- Thermal characteristics and requirements for high voltage batteries
- Thermal energy recovery systems
- Advanced Thermal Management components And Materials
- Simulation methods to meet requirements in system design
- Thermal Life Cycle Analysis
7:40PM All Attendee Evening Networking Drinks Reception & Fork Buffet